Thursday, 30 November 2006

A vision for '07

I'm back in cov after few days working in Aberdeen. It's not been a bad week at all, really busy and we've done quite a few interesting procedures. Weather was good and no real problems. I've been flying with bmibaby up to Aberdeen the last couple of times, and to be honest they're not too bad at all. Definitly miles better than a certain two other budget airlines (clue, think orange and irish!) The flight back to brum leaves at 6.35, which is tight! I'm not convinced i'll stick with them as the last thing I need on a thursday evening is to be missing my flight!

So what else has happend this week. Well there was the dentist on monday, which was ok as far as any visit to the dentist can be. I'm having a temporary crown fitted tomorrow, which will be fun. Anyway on Monday i'd just come out of the dentist and crossed the road. The pavement was damp and covered in these red berries that had fallen of a bush. Of course I then lost my footing and managed to base over apex on the pavement. I'm hoping that not to many people saw me do that. So I managed to get mud and crushed berries all over my jeans. And i grazed my knees, somthing that i've not done for probably 15 years!

So this weekend sees the annual works conference. I'm quite looking forwards to finding out whats going on, and which direction the companies going in. There's also the chance to catch up with everyone I don't usually get to see. I must be good and keep my alcohol intake down. On Sunday I was going to go to the West Mids sja conference, but it's been cancelled due to lack of interest. This is a real shame as I was looking forwards to finding out what was going on. Still it's been rescheduled for sometime in the new year, so with any luck the top bods at county can generate a bit of interest for it.

I've been thinking a bit about next year. I've come to the conclision that one of my aims, within sja at least, is to emphasise the concept of collective responsibility. I think it's nearly always the case that when things don't go according to plan, it's never one particular thing. More often than not it's a number of things. This is often bourn out in reports following major incidents, many of which could of been prevented.

So what does this mean in practice? Well it's about fostering mutual respect and being open to constructive criticism. Thinking outside of the box, and working out novel solutions to issues, before they develop into problems. It's also about giving everyone control of the direction that the division, and their own sja careers takes.

So is this realistic, of is it just another one of my pipe dreams? Join us next year to find out.

Well thats it for now, roll on the weekend!

No comments: