Thursday, 4 January 2007

First post of 2007 - Finally!

What happened I hear you cry. Where did this big new year blog post go? Well to be honest, once I'd eaten my curry on NYE i felt absolutely shattered and nearly didn't make it to midnight. I think I might of picked up a bug or something as I felt really under the weather on New years day. To make matters worse, the ice had melted at the skydome! This meant the game had to be postponed until the following day, when of course I was in Aberdeen. Still thanks to Mr Ice Hockey, I got regular updates and the result was a guddun.

So i've been in Aberdeen this week, not a lot to say really, fairly average week, although I nearly missed my flight due to leaving work late. I'm still toying with the idea of going back to BA, but I do enjoy getting home that little bit earlier.

Right, SJA, what are we going to do in '07? It's something that has been on my mind almost constantly for the last few months. I keep asking myself the question, How can we make it better this year? To be honest i'm not entirely sure, it's a hard one to call.

When I first joined the division, I was the youngest member by, what, probably two decades. Now probably half the division are younger than me. Now this is both good and not so good. Youth brings much needed energy and enthusiasm to the division, but then younger members often get Saturday jobs, and end up going off to University.

So what's the best way? If you try and please everyone, it's likely no one will be satisfied. But If we target the divisional program, then people will pick and choose.

It's difficult, and I haven't got any easy answers, so c'mon folks lets have some comments here.

Anyway here's a list of aims for the new year:

  • Better internal PR, Lets beat Bournbrook*
  • An annual 'event' that is the best in Coventry
  • Six-ish 'Keystone' events that the program is centred around, concentrating on a different set of skills. a la the grand prior scheme, but for adults??
  • Individual personal development plans
  • Recruitment. Targeted or general?
Anyway that's it for now, more this weekend.....Hopefully.

*Disclaimer - Bournbrook are really really good at what they do, they are an example to us all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bournbrook aren't that great, their just really good at the publicitiy side. Do we really need to know they went bowling? But yet that made it into print?

But I do agree with the aims, it would be good if we could focus on things.

Also, a divisional or sector trip to the cottage would be good.